Accident.

My husband was in a pretty bad accident yesterday.
He was at a stop light behind a ford explorer, or some other kind of SUV and looked behind him and saw a lady flying at him and not slowing down.
He said to himself "this bitch isn't going to stop".
She didn't.
She had some sort diabetic shock and passed out behind the wheel.
The EMS and police on the scene said that she had juice and cookies in her car like she had just gone to the grocery store knowing her sugar was low.
There were no skid marks so her brake wasn't applied at ALL.
She was going about 45+ miles per hour.
My husband had to be cut out of his car with the jaws of life.
If I had just seen his car before talking to him I would have lost my shit.
The car looks so terrible.
It's unbelievable to see it and think anyone could have survived it.
Josh says that he saw her coming and then the next he remembered was wondering where his rear view mirror went and why his steering wheel was bent.
An onlooker called me as he was able to remember my name, his name and my phone number.
His phone flew under a seat so he couldn't find it at first.
He called me a few times after that and forgot later that he had even called or spoken to me.
That really scared me.
They took him and the lady in an ambulance to University of Louisville hospital downtown since that is the trauma center here.
All of his scans came back great and the tests they did were all negative for whatever they were looking for.
He had some lacerations on his face and had to be stitched up.
He's allergic to one of the numbing agents and they didn't have anything else so he was stitched without any local or numbing.
The doctor that stitched him up told us that he's only done TWO people without any numbing and the other was a green beret!
He has a splint on his left arm because it's swollen and sprained or severely contused.
He has a concussion and is still feeling confused.
That hospital was a total cluster fuck.
They apparently had a lot of trauma visits yesterday so he was left sitting unattended for quite some time.
We finally left about 9pm and they let him go with blood still crusted all down his face.

I can't even begin to think about what would have happened if he had been severely injured.
The whole drive to the scene I just kept saying outloud "he HAS to be OK, he has to be OK" I tried to keep it together so I could drive but couldn't stop shaking violently.
I got to the scene and took pictures and was able to find out where they had taken him and see everything for myself.
It was unbelievable.
His car is totalled for sure. It's now a convertible.

I am so incredibly grateful that he is alive and ok all things considered.
I couldn't help but look at him all last night and want to cry.
I just don't know what I would have done if he'd been injured or worse.
I am SO thankful for the lady Heather that called me to let me know what was going on and made sure to stay until the emergency vehicles got there. I made sure to call her last night since she told me that she wouldn't be able to sleep not knowing if he was ok.
She said she would just want someone to do the same for her if it was her husband.
I'm so glad she did that for me.

Today I've been contacting all the insurance companies and contacted AFLAC and all that stuff.
I'm trying to not even think about what we're going to do for another vehicle just yet.

accident062309 (11)

0 comments: