Dental Work

Yesterday was the second half of Taylor's dental work.
This time he had already been once and knew kind of what to expect.
I went into work in the morning and Nana gave him the "loopy juice" before I got home.
He was pretty brave and ready to go. We headed out with his blankie (pink me) and were on our way.
He was mostly concerned about what he was getting for going.
Once we got there he played with toys for a while then just sat in my lap until they came out and called his name.
He started freaking out then knowing that they had come for him to go back for more work on his teeth.
He started screaming and crying for me to go back with him and watch. I told him that I couldn't and that I would be right out in the waiting room for when he was done.
The doctor came out when it was done and told me that he done so well, even better than the first time and was only a little freaked out in the beginning and then relaxed and they got it done really fast.
He was really happy to see me when he came out.

While I was in the waiting room I had met another mom waiting for her son.
She pretty much told me her life story while we sat there. She was very nice but a little too forthcoming about all her life details.
It was sort of strange, but what she said when we were done talking that struck me the most.
She told me that I seemed like a strong independent woman and felt very comfortable talking to me.
I thanked her and told her she would get there herself.
She said she was impressed with how I handled Taylor going back and not crying myself.
That surprises me most, I always thought I would be more emotional about stuff like that.
I always seem to hold it together though.
I probably do it mostly for them so I don't scare the boys when they're going through things that scare them enough without their mom freaking out.

Taylor's request as we were leaving was to go and get milkshakes, we went through McDonald's and got him an orange shake and he told me we had to bring home one for Nana and bubby too.
He's such a thoughtful kid, always making sure that if he gets something we bring something back for Callum too.

They warned us about watching him chewing on his cheeks because he wouldn't be able to feel it for a while so I kept talking to him about not chewing on his cheek because he could really hurt himself.
I ended up taking the rest of the day off and napping with the boys and cuddling with them.
I really treasure that time, I know that it will end abruptly one day and I am really going to miss it.

When we got up from nap I realized he hadn't chewed on his cheek but he did indeed chew on his top lip on the side they told us would be most numb.
The poor thing now looks like he's been in a boxing match.
It's SO swollen.
He says it doesn't hurt, but we've been giving him lots of Popsicles just in case.
He wasn't as mean coming out of this drug haze as he was the first time.
I was thankful for that.

Callum has been such an instigator lately, and even knowing his brother doesn't feel good hasn't stopped him.
That got him a bite on the face yesterday.
He finally bugged Taylor so much that Taylor bit him right on the face. You can see the bite marks just under his eye and his bottom teeth towards the bottom of his cheek.
I had a hard time really punishing Taylor for it since I knew he didn't feel good and Callum really was pushing his buttons, but he went to time out just the same since I couldn't not do anything about it at all.

Josh is going out of town early in the morning to go and help a friend pick up his daughter in Ohio, so it will be just the boys and I tomorrow and maybe Nana if she stays home this weekend.
I'm thinking we'll go to one of the local parks that has the water stuff to play in too.
They're totally not afraid of sprinklers and stuff anymore which has been great this summer.